Oakhill

Minutes for March 2012

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD IN OAKHILL VILLAGE HALL ON 14TH MARCH 2012 AT 7.30PM

Present

D Barlow (DB; Chair), P Briscoe (PB), P. Dennis (PD), S Emery (SE), D Gilson (DG), P Langmaid (PL), E. Lewis (EL), C Sully (CS), J Thomson (JT) and B Wells (BW).

In Attendance

S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), S Priscott (District Councillor; in part) and H Siggs (County Councillor; in part).

 

 

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

065/12

Apologies were received from D Perkins (DP).

 

066/12

N Housley (PCSO) and W Closier (District Councillor) also advised that they would not be able to attend the meeting.

 

 

DECLARATION OF INTEREST

 

067/12

PB declared an interest in Planning Application 2012/0354; Land Adjoining Mendip Golf Club, as he is a member of the club.

 

 

AGREEMENT OF MINUTES OF MEETINGS HELD

 

068/12

The minutes of the meeting held on 8th February 2012 were agreed to be a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES (where not dealt with later)

 

069/12

(039/12) Advertising signs obstructing vision – Chair read response received from the Police, which was disappointing. The following was noted:-

  • The issue was raised due to a perceived danger;
  • This was brought to the council’s attention by parishioners, not the parish council;
  • Small vehicles like motorcycles can be hidden by the board;
  • When in a low, small car, the board prevents seeing the road.

Clerk to forward Darren Pearce’s email to councilors and it was agreed to draft a response letter to be circulated before issue.

SV

070/12

HG stated that he would try to get the signs removed from Highway property.

HS

071/12

(041/12) Footpaths Grant – Invoice has been sent to SCC, awaiting payment. 

 

072/12

(043/12) Pole at the bottom of Zion Hill – Clerk reported that SCC would not install new lighting columns. The parish council would have to request it and pay for the column and its installation, although SCC would take on the maintenance thereafter.

Councilors queried whether the existing column could be moved as it is not lighting in the right place (moving about 30ft up the hill, near the bottom). Clerk to enquire. 

 SV

073/12

(045/12) Triffids – This has been reported to the Enforcement Team at MDC.

 

074/12

(033/12) Brewery Building – Clerk read email from Matt Williams head of Planning at MDC. Clerk to contact the developer to ascertain whether the bat survey has been completed and if a mitigation plan has been drawn.

SV

075/12

(055/12) Invoice from MDC (Elections) – No further information was received.

SP confirmed the invoice was inflated due to the fact there was a contested election in the parish. Chair pointed out that the invoice was not clear and we could have been advised of the apportionment for the PC, MDC and SCC.

 

 

 

076/12

(059/12) Litter – Clerk reported to MDC. Awaiting response.

 

077/12

(062/12) Dog Poo – Clerk circulated notice to the Chair but missed the publication deadline for the newsletter. Ongoing.

 

078/12

(063/12) Lamp post outside school – The lamp post has now been fixed.

 

 

DISCTRICT & COUNTY COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS

 

079/12

S Priscott reported as follows:-

  • District Council is trying to help and support the economy;
  • Land purchase made easier for specific parish council led projects;
  • Bidding for small highway safety scheme in April: the crossing at Gurney Slade was discussed;
  • PL reported increased speeds since speed camera has been removed in Gurney Slade, particularly from the quarry lorries. HS suggested the PC write to the quarry owners to point out the danger of speeding, and not stopping at the small crossing near the post office;
  • 30mph repeater signs (there isn’t one in the village).

  

SV

 

S Priscott leaves the meeting. H Siggs joins the meeting

 

080/12

H Siggs reported as follows:-

  • Choice event;
  • £14m of savings still to find at County Council;
  • Highways: bus subsidies have been taken away in high proportion;
  • Pot holes: new community-led scheme was introduced by HS where members of the PC or the community would be responsible for measuring and spraying pot holes needing repair.

 

081/12

 

D Gilson; drainage works on A37 top of Long Hill (down below crossroads). SV to email HS with details.

 SV

082/12

Traffic calming measures at Junction of the A37 (to Halecombe quarry) which is very dangerous. HS stated it would be very difficult to implement something unless traffic was restricted (not allowed to cross over). Although HS agreed to have a look at what may be done.

HS

 

CONDITION OF VERGES AND SURFACE OF SIMBRISS ROAD/LANE 

 

083/12

Chair received a phone call from a resident complaining about Simbriss Lane where the verges are in poor condition (from Badgers Cross to Pounds cross) and the lane very muddy, due to tractors coming in and out of fields and driving too fast, therefore spilling mud everywhere. Clerk to report to SCC and contact the contractor/owners to ask to be careful to leave the lane in good condition.

SV

 

GROUNDS MAINTENANCE CONTRACT 

 

084/12

Following the review of all quotations received and a full discussion on the merits of each, a vote followed:-

Shore Landscape Gardening: 2 votes for (£1,040);
JK Primrose Garden Maintenance: 7 votes (£1,820) ;
Quadron: 0 votes.

Based on vote, it was agreed award the ground maintenance contract for 2012 to JK Primrose Garden Maintenance. Clerk to issue contract.

 

 

 SV

 

 

LITTER COLLECTION

 

085/12

Concern was expressed over the increasing amount of litter in the parish.

It was wondered who had the litter pickers and LL agreed to contact these 2 people (Liz Rose and Janet Smith), with the view to organising a possible litter pick-up in the future.

LL

 

 

PLANNING

 

086/12

Status update on recent planning applications:-

  • 2011/2609; Lapwing Farm, Old Frome Road – Approved with cond.
  • 2012/0098; Felling of a tree – No objection
  • 2012/0139; Sumach House; alterations & 1st floor extension – Approved with cond.

No decision for: 2011/2045 (The Elms; Pondsmead), 2011/2201 (Warren Farm; Erection of Wind Turbine), 2011/3068 (1 Rock Cottages; detached store/workshop), 2011/3110 (Property between Old End Cottage & Beech House; creation of dwelling) and 2012/0202 (Holly Cottage; rear extension).

 

087/12

Application 2012/0354; Land Adjoining Mendip Golf Club, Gurney Slade; Change of Use of Land from Agricultural to Golf Course to be used in conjunction with Mendip Golf Club – A discussion took place regarding the exact location of the proposals and concern was expressed about agricultural land being used for development.

Following a vote (7 for, 2 against, 1 abstinence) it was agreed to recommend approval based on the parish council’s aim to support local business in the community. 

 

088/12

Application 2012/0334; Oakhill Cottage, Zion Hill, Oakhill; Proposed felling of a Norway Spruce tree in a Conservation Area. It was unanimously agreed to leave to the tree officer, although it was noted that the tree was growing dangerously near a property.

 

 

089/12

Application 2012/0295; Coombe End, Binegar Lane, Gurney Slade; Proposed works to 2 Ash trees and 1 Beech tree subject to woodland Tree Preservation Order M329 - 30% reduction – Unanimously agreed to leave the decision to the tree officer.

 

090/12

Application 2012/0203; 22 The Old Maltings, Oakhill; Demolition of existing rear conservatory and an Erection of a single storey rear and side extension. Proposed new parking space to the front – The residents in attendance explained that they had been trying to sell their house to buy a bigger property to accommodate their needs but have found that interested buyers were put off by the state of the adjoining Oakhill Brewery site. They have therefore decided to apply for planning permission to build a single storey extension to the side and back of the property (with additional parking to front).

After review of the drawings, the Council felt that the proposals were for a sensibly planned extension, in keeping with the style of the property and extending into the applicant's own garden, not affecting neighbouring properties. It was unanimously agreed to recommend approval.

 

 

FINANCE

 

091/12

Financial Statement – Statement to 14th March 2012 was agreed and signed.

 

092/12

Clerk’s Salary – Invoice dated 14th March 2012 was agreed. Cheques #539 and #540 (tax) were signed.

 

093/12

Website Maintenance fee – Invoice not received.

 

094/12

Risk Assessment & Asset Register – Clerk distributed copies to councilors for review and agreement at the next meeting.

 ALL

095/12

Internal audit – On Clerk’s recommendation, it was agreed to ask Keith Cockroft to undertake the internal audit. Quotation of £40 was agreed.

 

096/12

Payments for Queen’s Jubilee expenses – Invoice to be provided next month.

 

097/12

SALC Affiliation Fee – C Sully proposed (PB seconded, all agreed) to pay. Cheque #541 was signed.

 

 

MATTERS OF REPORT

 

098/12

Queen’s Jubilee – Pam Dennis provided a report to the Council. Key points were:-

  • £1,095 raised so far,
  • Next coffee morning on 26th March at Ashwick Church room.
  • Any surplus could be used to plant some trees at the Rec Field and/or the school.
  • Licence obtained for ‘no more than 499 people’ allowed on site,
  • The committee asked members of the PC to be present on 3rd May to help. Volunteers to let Pam know.
  •  

A cost schedule was handed to the PC who conveyed its thanks to the committee.

 

099/12

PCSO - Report was read at the meeting. No further comments.

 

100/12

SALC – Clerk gave a brief update from attendance at SALC Area Meeting.

 

101/12

School – SE reported that the school wished to forge a better relationship with the community. Councillors to think how this could happen?

 ALL

102/12

JT pointed out that the words ‘poo’, ‘litter’ and ‘mud’ in the village had all been discussed at the meeting. Is there a way to make the community proud?

It was agreed to think about ways to integrate the PC into the community and vice versa.

ALL

103/12

 

Street light on Bath Road – PL inform Clerk of post number to report to SCC

PL/SV

104/12

SV to circulate broadband email for councilors to complete survey.

SV

105/12

Speed watch / Footpaths / Highways – Nothing further to report.

 

 

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

106/12

The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 11th April 2012 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall.