Oakhill

Minutes for July 2012

 

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD IN OAKHILL VILLAGE HALL

ON 11TH JULY 2012 AT 7.30PM

 

Present

D Barlow (DB; Chair), P Briscoe (PB), P. Dennis (PD), D Gilson (DG),

P Langmaid (PL), C Sully (CS) and B Wells (BW).

 

In Attendance

S Vaillant (SV; Clerk) and H Siggs (County Councillor; in part).

 

 

 

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Action

1/12  

Apologies were received from S Emery (SE), E. Lewis (EL), D Perkins (DP) and J Thomson (JT).

 

 

DECLARATION OF INTEREST

 

219/12     

BW declared an interested in planning application 2012/1254.

 

 

AGREEMENT OF MINUTES OF MEETINGS HELD

 

220/12     

The minutes of the meeting held on 13th June 2012 were agreed to be a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments:-

  • Item 198/12 should read PL and PB attended - not DG.

 

 

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES (where not dealt with later)

 

221/12     

(180 /12) Advertising signs obstructing vision – Clerk has spoken to D. Pearson who has confirmed that it is not a policing problem. The issue should be brought up with Highways to have the sign moved or removed.

 

222/12     

(181/12) Footpaths Grant – After resubmission of the invoice, payment has now been authorized and funds should be paid within the next few days.

 

223/12     

(182/12) Zion Hill – The wish to have the lamp post moved to light up the pedestrian pole at the bottom of the hill has been registered with SCC. Cleck to pursue.

SV

224/12     

(183/12) Brewery Building; Bat survey – Letter has been issued asking about progress of the bat survey and whether a mitigation plan had been drawn. Chair confirmed that a bat survey was ongoing in the evening (and further surveys to also take place in the near future).

 

225/12     

Brewery building; condition of site – Chair met on site with Ian Parkman, Environment Health Officer at MDC, when it was agreed that security was lacking and concern about the possible presence of rats was raised. MDC advised they would ask the owners to secure the site. However, there was little that could be done regarding the pile of rubble.

 

 

HS joins the meeting.

 

226/12     

(185/12) Simbriss Lane – Road markings have been requested at the Badger’s Cross junction.

 

227/12     

(188/12) Pothole Repairs – H Siggs has been made aware of the poor quality of pothole  repairs in general. Following on from the Clerk’s letter to Highways, the parish representatives have been invited to attend a meeting at the Highways Depot in Glastonbury to meet the contractors and discuss issues.

 

228/12     

(189/12) Lorries in Gurney Slade – Letter has been issued to the quarry asking that lorries respect the speed limit.

 

229/12     

(190/12) Defective street lights have been reported.

 

230/12     

(213/12) Volunteer Group – Clerk to draft an article to publish in the parish magazine.

SV

231/12     

(214/12) Condition of Blackey Lane has been reported.

 

232/12     

(215/12) Mowing of pavement at top of bath road – DP not present to report.

Clerk to chase HS. Ongoing.

 

SV

 

DIAMOND JUBILEE 

 

233/12     

It was agreed that the PC would choose a tree to plant. CS recommended planting a 'Wild Service Tree', which was agreed. DP to report the PC’s choice to the VH committee. Tree to be purchased for planting in late autumn.

DP

234/12     

Finances – Pam reported on monies left over and presented option for a memorial bench, and 2 circular picnic benches, also allowing for some anchorage. It was agreed to order the tables and benches, preferably assembled. Somerlap £622.73 (inclusive of VAT), Cyan £499.99. Cheques #579 & #580 were signed (monies from donations to the big lunch).

 

235/12     

Record of the Big Lunch on the website – PL to liaise with JT for photos and wording to be included as a permanent item on the website.

 

236/12     

PCSO Nicki Housley joins the meeting. Pam leaves the meeting.

 

 

PCSO REPORT

 

237/12     

PCSO Nicki Housley report was noted. The following was discussed:-

  • 20/06 poaching of deer behind Pondsmead Nursing Home (reduction in sighting of deer); PL stated that there had been reports of shooting in the parish during early mornings. NH recommended to call 999 if parishioners hear some shootings early in the morning;
  • 04/07 flood outside Bramley Farm; PL advised that, at the time of the meeting, there had been 2 accidents.

 

238/12     

Enforcement camera officer will be requested to make visits in the village (High Street and main road) to try and deter speeding.

 

239/12     

Parking at the school is a problem where parents park in all areas. NH agreed to have a look.

 

 

ALLOTMENTS

 

240/12     

No demand has been registered over the year. It was noted that some new allotments were available in Cranmore.

SV and DB to attend training at Nunney VH organised by SALC. To be agreed at September meeting.

 

 

 

NEW CODE OF CONDUCT

 

241/12     

SV and DB to attend training organised by SALC. To be agreed at September meeting.

SV/DB

 

SOMERSET STRIMMER PROJECT

 

242/12     

DP said he would be willing to carry this out but feels that he does not need training.

It was agreed not to take part in the project as we could not see any benefits.

 

 

 

PLANNING

 

243/12     

Status update on recent planning applications:-

  • 2012/0958; Drovers, Zion Hill – No decision
  • 2012/0906; Moorewood, Moonsbrook – No decision
  • 2012/1048 & 1046 Oakhill Manor, Zion Hill – No decision

 

244/12     

Planning Application 2012/1479; The Court Yard; construction of garage – PD proposed to recommend approval (BW seconded, all agreed) as the proposals are compatible with the existing design, the materials match existing and there is no garage on site at present.

We have not received any objections from neighbours.

 

245/12     

Planning Application 2012/1304; Millbrook Depot; Yelling Mill Lane, Downside; Reorganise existing parking area and erect a two storey modular office building – BW proposed to recommend approval (PD seconded, all agreed) to encourage business and prospect of further employment for local people.

 

246/12     

Planning Application 2012/1254; The Cottage; Bath Road; Replacement Conservatory – PL proposed (PB seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval. BW had declared an interest in this application and did not participate in the voting process.

 

 

FINANCE

 

247/12     

Financial Statement – Statement to 9th July 2012 was agreed.

 

248/12     

Clerk’s Salary – Invoice dated 11th July 2012 was agreed. Cheques #575 and #576 (tax) were signed.

 

249/12     

Invoice for Grounds Maintenance – Invoice from Primrose was agreed. Cheque #577 was signed. BW is monitoring the standard of the cutting.

 

250/12     

Website Maintenance – No invoice received.

 

251/12     

Invoice for purchase of flowers – Invoice was agreed. Cheque #578 was signed.

 

 

MATTERS OF REPORT

 

252/12     

Village Hall – DB reported on behalf of DP: meeting has been had with focus on raising hall awareness in the village; fund raising in September for additional play area; siting of separate building for the pre-school.

 

253/12     

Footpaths – Clerk to ask that nettles on the elevated path along the A37 (opposite post office) be cut back.

SV

254/12     

MDC Gypsy count – Three male in Lime Kiln Lane living in caravans, been living there for a long time with small patch where they grow crops. Clerk to report.

 SV

255/12     

Chairman’s Award for Service to the Community – It was agreed to put an application for Pauline West. Clerk to forward email to DB to submit the application.

 DB

256/12     

Affordable Housing - BW asked that PC write to Nina Richards (MDC) to find out which housing association deals with the awarding of the two semi-detached houses in the High Street. Clerk to contact the Housing Association to remind them of the agreement to let the houses to village people or people with connection with the village.

SV

257/12     

Signage at Oakhill Garage (large and multiple signs) and signage at the pub. Clerk to query whether planning applications should have been sought.

 SV

258/12     

Dead badger between Bramley House and Oakhill garage. Clerk to report.

SV

259/12     

Donated Ordnance Survey maps 1887 of Oakhill. These could be displayed in the village hall. Clerk to write thank you letter and record the maps in the asset register.

 SV

 

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

260/12     

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday 12th September 2012 at 7.30pm at the Hall.