Oakhill

Minutes for March 2011

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD IN OAKHILL VILLAGE HALL ON 9TH MARCH 2011 AT 7.30PM

 

Present

P. Briscoe (PB; Chairman), D Barlow (DB; Vice-Chairman), B Wells (BW), P Dennis (PD), D Gilson (DG), C Sully (CS), P Langmaid (PL), E Lewis (EL), S Emery (SE) and K Matlin (KM), D. Perkins (DP) and G Halfhide (GH) District Councillor.

In Attendance

Sandrine Vaillant (SV; Clerk) and 1 member of the public.

 

 

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

40/11

Apologies were received from Nicky Housley (PCSO).

 

 

DECLARATION OF INTEREST

 

41/11

No interest was declared.

 

 

AGREEMENT OF MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 9th FEBRUARY 2011

 

42/11

The minutes of the meeting held on 9th February 2011 were agreed to be a true and accurate record of the meeting held with the following amendments:-

  • Item 36/11 should read ‘Pound’ not ‘Pond’.

 

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

43/11

(8/11) BW read proposed wording for bench, which was agreed. BW to liaise with the Roberts family for engraving and fitting of the plaque and bench.

 

BW

44/11

(21/11) Thank you letter to F. White – Clerk confirmed this had been issued. Action complete.

 

45/11

(25/11) Thank you letter to C. Tucker – Clerk confirmed this had been issued, together with cheque for reimbursement of expenses. Action complete.

Clerk apologized for missing the deadline with regards to advertising in the Parish Magazine; however, it was confirmed that notices had been posted in the notice boards and on the website.  Action complete. 

 

46/11

(26/11) Elections – Clerk updated the council on the procedure for elections, including deadline for the return of nomination forms and withdrawals, and posters have been displayed on the notice boards and website. Action complete.

Clerk to obtain members’ electoral roll numbers and forward with the forms.

 

 

 SV

47/11

(29/11) Ground Maintenance – BW and Clerk have received quotes for the grounds maintenance in the village. These were agreed in principle in order for mowing work to start immediately. Retrospective formal agreement to be passed at March meeting. 

 

48/11

(30/11) Standing Order – Cancellation form was sent to bank. Action complete.

 

49/11

(32/11) Royal Wedding & Tea Dance at the school – DB advised that he was now unable to attend.

 

50/11

(33/11) Phone Box uses – EL reported on the information obtained by contacting Westbury where a phone box has been converted into a book exchange. The installation was fairly straightforward with original input of around £30 for the fitting of shelves; books were initially donated by parishioners following an appeal/advertising; it is reportedly well used and there have been no problems with vandalism.

EL was thanked for looking into this, however, it was agreed not to pursue further at this time as it was felt the location of the box was slightly too far out of the village.

 

51/11

(34/11) School Collaboration on Spring Clean up – Clerk confirmed having written to the school and advised that MDC would be able to provide litter pickers, high visibility jackets and would pick up the accumulated rubbish from an agreed place after the event.

It was generally agreed that suitable roads to be cleaned with the children would be those with pavements.

Awaiting response from the school. SE to chase at next school meeting on 15th March.

 

 

 

SE

52/11

(36/11) Grit Bins – Most bins appear to have been replenished in early January, except for two. Clerk to contact Highways to remind them of the location of all bins.

Additional grit bags – EL advised that the Council had missed the deadline to collect the additional bags offered by Highways.

 SV

53/11

(37/11) Wall behind war memorial – The owners of Pooh Corner have advised that the wall did not show on their Deeds of land, and it is therefore believed that the wall was built at the same time as the war memorial and belongs to the parish council.

Clerk to investigate how the PC can officially acquire the wall and be shown as such on the Land Registry. Clerk to contact PC’s solicitor, Mr Crossman to enquire about process and likely costs.

 

 

 SV

 

PLANNING

 

54/11

Planning Application 2011/0244; The Old Coach House, Bath Road; Proposed felling of an ash tree – It was unanimously agreed to leave the decision to the tree officer.

 

55/11

Land at Chapelfield – Chair summarized the situation with regards to Affordable Housing provision and needs in the village (currently believed to be 6 following surveys by Flourish Homes), together with background information with regards to the land at Chapelfield, and how it had previously been identified as a possible area to build new AH dwellings by The Community Council for Somerset.

A discussion followed with one resident present and advice from GH was sought.

The following was confirmed/discussed:-

  • The PC is not aware of the land having been bought by a developer;
  • The PC is not aware of any planning applications having been submitted;
  • The land is currently outside the village development limit and is classified as agricultural. This is therefore not available for market housing.
  • The PC is concerned that the current drainage services would not support any more housing/development in the village and this would be taken into consideration when reviewing a possible planning application.

 

56/11

Mendip Local Development Framework – Chair and GH gave background information on the Framework out for consultation. Although, it is not believe to contain any changes in housing provisions for the parish, it was agreed that PB and CS would attend the meeting in Chilcompton on 15th March and draft a response to be emailed to all members for comment before sending formal response to MDC. 

 

 PB/CS

57/11

Chair updated the council on recently granted planning applications.

Clerk advised having received an application for the erection of a detached garage building and formation of vehicular access and drive at Courage Cottage, High Street. The planners have agreed an extension of time for comments and this will be discussed next month.

 

 

FINANCE

 

58/11

Clerk’s Salary – Invoice dated 9th March 2011 was agreed. Cheque No494 was signed.

 

59/11

SALC Invoice for Clerk’s workshop – Invoice dated 9th February for the clerk workshop was agreed, as per last meeting. Cheque No 495 was signed.

 

60/11

SALC Affiliation Fee – Affiliation fee for 2011/12 was agreed. Cheque No 496 was signed.

 

61/11

SLCC Annual Subscription – Clerk confirmed that the council had already paid the subscription fee and that the name of the clerk will be changed to reflect the recent takeover. No further monies are due.

SV

62/11

Website Domain Name & Hosting 2010 – Invoice was agreed. Cheque No 497 was signed.

 

63/11

Jack Stringer Invoice – Invoice for the initial setting up and maintenance of the website was agreed, as per initial quotes. Cheque No 498 was signed.

 

64/11

Website Domain Name & Hosting 2011 – Invoice was agreed. Cheque No 499 was signed.

Chair questioned whether the PC had already paid for the domain name in November, for 5 years. PL and Clerk to check.

 PL/SV

65/11

Agree fee for website maintenance – quotation of £100 for the next year’s ongoing maintenance by Jack Stringer was agreed. Clerk to write letter.

 SV

66/11

Agree internal Audit Fee – Mc Caple’s quote of £50 to undertake the internal audit was unanimously agreed. Clerk to organize.

 SV

67/11

Parish Council PAYE Registration – The Clerk explained the new HMRC requirements and having written to register the PC as employer. Further details to be issued in April.

Employer’s Liability cover – KM advised to check the current insurance cover to ensure it includes Employer’s Liability, and steps to follow as an employer. Clerk to check.  

 

 SV

68/11

Reimbursement for purchase of flowers – Cheque No 500 was signed, as agreed at the last meeting.

 

 

FLOOD RISK SURVEY 

 

69/11

Clerk explained that MDC were currently undertaking an exercise to list at risk areas in parishes. The following two areas were mentioned:-

  • High Street flooded 4 years ago following heavy rainfall. Remedial works were undertaken by Highways and flooding has not reoccurred since.
  • Spring across A367, which can become swollen following heavy rainfall.

 

 

MATTERS OF REPORT

 

70/11

District Councillor’s Report; GH reported on the following items:-

  • Proposed closure of Coleford Recycling Centre – GH reported on meeting held in Taunton and advised that the situation was still undecided. The matter will be brought to the next scrutiny committee in March following the voting behaviour of some members.
    One of the proposals is for Recycling facilities to have reduced opening hours.

 

 

 

ANY OTHER MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING

 

71/11

Pot holes in the village – Clerk advised that potholes, or lighting problems, were to be reported via SCC’s website.

 

72/11

Website - DB thanked PL on the quality of the website.

 

73/11

Hall Committee - A meeting has been held with a delegation from the playgroup to discuss the possibility of an extension for the village hall. Quotations are being obtained.

 

74/11

GH announced that he would not be standing for re-election in May.

 

75/11

KM presented his apologies for next month.

 

 

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

76/11

The next meeting will be held on 13th April 2011 at 7.30pm.