Oakhill

Minutes for November 2011

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD IN OAKHILL VILLAGE HALL ON 9th NOVEMBER 2011 AT 7.30PM

Present

P Briscoe (PB), P Dennis (PD), P Langmaid (PL), E Lewis (EL),
J Thompson (JT) and B Wells (BW). 

In Attendance

S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), Terry Drake (Mendip Community Speedwatch Coordinator) and H Siggs (HS; District Councillor)

 

 

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 

318/11

Apologies were received from D Barlow (DB), D Gilson (DG), D. Perkins (DP) and

C Sully (CS). N Housley (PCSO) and W Closier (District Councillor) also advised they would not be able to attend the meeting. 

 

 

DECLARATION OF INTEREST

 

319/11

BW declared an interest in planning application 2011/2201 (item 335/11 below).  

 

 

AGREEMENT OF MINUTES OF MEETINGS HELD

 

320/11

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th October 2011 were agreed to be a true and accurate record of the meeting held with the following amendments:-

  • J Thompson’s name to be removed from attendance list.
  • (311/11) Start of the sentence should read DG not PD.

 

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES (where not dealt with later)

 

321/11

(290/11) Policy for Travellers – Clerk to put together a ‘procedure’ document to post on the website.

 SV

322/11

(294/11) A letter of thanks was issued to Lee Brooks for helping with the clearing.

 

323/11

(294/11) Highways have been contacted regarding the possibility of tarmacing the pavement on Bath road, which will be put forward for consideration for inclusion in Highways’ future structural maintenance programme. Clerk to remind Highways in February/April to look into this.

 

324/11

(295/11) Advertising signs obstructing vision - Clerk read response received from PCSO; however council pointed out that the signs were actually on the public highway as the grass verge does not belong to the Oakhill Inn. Clerk to report to N Housley.

SV

325/11

(299/11) 12 Chapelfield – Clerk read response received by Matt Williams regarding appeals process. To be circulated to all councilors for information.

SV

326/11

(310/11) Grit Bags – EL confirmed that bags had been collected and are currently stored at the Village Hall.

 

327/11

(311/11) Verges at the bottom of Zion Hill – Some of the work has been undertaken. PB agreed to inspect the area and advise Clerk to report to Highways if further work is needed.

PB/SV

328/11

(313/11) Village Mobile shop – This was brought to the attention of the PCSO.

 

 

 

SPEED WATCH PRESENTATION

 

329/11

Terry Drake introduced the scheme and a conversation followed with the members.

To start the scheme, a coordinator is needed as well as volunteers (a team of at least 9 is ideal; or at the very least a team of 6 for fortnightly operations). BW and PD volunteered to be part of the team, and will try to recruit further members, including a coordinator. EL thanked Terry for attending the meeting.

 

ALL

 

ShHS joined the meeting

 

 

DISCTRICT & COUNTY COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS

 

330/11

HS, County Councillor, updated the council as follows:-

  • Forthcoming issue of winter weather ‘packs’
  • New parking enforcement regime in towns
  • New regime to replace enhanced pavements with Tarmac (unlikely to affect APC)

 

331/11

Clerk handed HS a copy of the email sent by Highways in response to the various issues highlighted by the council (weed spraying, tarmacing of pavement on Bath road, obstructed road signs by overgrown hedges, dropped manhole covers, etc…).

 

 

QUEEN’S JUBILEE UPDATE

 

332/11

Pam Dennis updated the council on progress made with the organization of the event. Regarding publicity, Clerk to forward a copy of an email received regarding authorized wordings for the Jubilee to be used on leaflets, banners, etc…

SV

333/11

The first fund raising event will be a coffee morning on 18th January 2012. However, the working group has already received pledges in excess of £320 (total cost of the event expected to be around £1,000). EL thanked Pam for the update.

 

 

PLANNING

 

334/11

Status update on recent planning applications:-

  • 2011/2045; The Elms; Pondsmead – No decision
  • 2011/2149; Prospect House (Convert coach house) – Approved with Conditions
  • 2011/2289 & 2291; felling of trees, Zion Hill – Approved

 

 

 

 

335/11

Application 2011/2201; Land at Warren Farm, Masbury; Erection of single wing turbine – PD reported on the tour of the site from the previous day and the plans were reviewed. It was agreed that the 2 major impacts of such a development would be noise and the visual impact, which would both be minimal to residents of Ashwick (‘minimal visual impact and no noise from the village). PL proposed (PD seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval as residents will not be affected, we have not received any objections from parishioners and to encourage green technology.

 

336/11

Application 2011/2403; The Barn, Brewery Lane, Oakhill; Alterations and conversion of existing garage loft space to form ancillary accommodation – Following review of the plans, EL proposed (JT seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval as authorisation is only sought for the conversion of the loft space, with no changes to exterior appearance. Notwithstanding the above, copy of a letter received from Mr & Mrs Johnson of Brewer Court whose property is attached to the garage, was taken into account and the PC would also recommend that noise levels, impact to privacy (Velux windows on the roof) and amenities (fumes emitted by the flue on the roof of the side elevation) are thoroughly assessed to ensure minimum impact to the neighbouring property.

 

 

 

FINANCE

 

337/11

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 8th November 2011 was agreed and signed.

 

338/11

2012/13 Precept & Organisation of Finance Committee – DB, PB, BW, EL to meet during the coming weeks. DB to organise.

 DB

339/11

Clerk’s Salary – Invoice dated 9th November 2011 was agreed. Cheques #522 and #523 (tax) were signed.

 

340/11

Footpaths Maintenance – Liz Rose’s invoice dated 15th September 2011 was agreed.

 

341/11

Printing of Newsletter; Invoice from St Andrews Press – The invoice was agreed. Cheque #524 was signed.

 

342/11

EL pointed out that cheaper quotes were available online for the printing of the newsletter. It was agreed that if the newsletter was going to be printed twice yearly, this option should be looked at in future.

 

343/11

Clerk read email from DB thanking the councilors for distributing the newsletter.

EL offered to distribute the leaflets around Withy Cottages next time as JT felt unsafe distributing along a hazardous stretch of road.

 

344/11

Purchase copy of Oakhill Book – DG not present; adjourned to December meeting.

SV

345/11

Budget agreement for Queen’s Jubilee – Following report and indicative costs from Pan Dennis; PB proposed to underwrite the costs up to £1,000 (BW seconded, all agreed). Given the current financial climate, it was also agreed that parish reserve monies should be used rather than the amount being raised through the precept, to avoid a rise in Council Tax from the Council’s activities.  

 

 

MATTERS OF REPORT

 

346/11

Highways – Clerk to advise Highways of the following:-

  • Dropped manhole covers have still not been made good on Bath Road.
  • Sign by Badgers Cross (warning signs for the cross roads) is hanging off.
  • Sign to Oakhill village attached to the Golf Club at the corner has been knocked off a couple of years ago (top of High Street, bottom of A37 Golf Links Lane).
  • Numerous potholes in lay-by opposite Bramley Farm have been reported as a concern by motorists.

SV

 

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

347/11

The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 14th December 2011 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall.