Montacute House is a late Elizabethan country house situated in the South Somerset village of Montacute. The house is a perfect example of English architecture during a period that was moving from the medieval Gothic to the Renaissance Classical; this has resulted in Montacute being regarded as one of the finest houses to survive from the Elizabethan era.
front aspect. photo by David Brooks
Designed by an unknown architect, the three floored mansion, constructed of the local Ham Hill stone, was built circa 1598 by Sir Edward Phelips, Master of the Rolls. His descendants occupied the house until the early 20th century when it was acquired by the National Trust in 1927. Since 1975, the mansion's Long Gallery (the longest in England) has served as a regional outpost of the National Portrait Gallery and displays an important collection of oils and watercolours contemporary to the house.
East aspect. photo by David Brookes