A strange item to be included in this list but certain buildings still remaining from the old wartime airbase of RAF Culmhead are designated as Scheduled Ancient Monuments and are included in the Buildings at Risk Register produced by English Heritage. The buildings include the control towers and fighter pens.
It had 3 tarmac runways that are now in poor condition and the control towers are currently derelict. There is now an industrial estate - derived from the later CSOS - right in the middle of the place where the 3 runways meet.
World War II
Opened on 1st August 1941, RAF Culmhead was a typical three-runway fighter airfield.
Between 1941 and 1946, it was home to RAF Fighter squadrons that operated Spitfires.
RAF Culmhead was initially known as RAF Church Stanton, but it was renamed on 22nd December 1943 to avoid confusion with RAF Church Fenton.
After D-Day in 1944, the airfield was used for training on Gloster Meteors, the first jet engined aircraft in RAF service.
It was closed in August 1946.
From the 1950s, the site was partially re-used as Composite Signals Organisation Station (CSOS) Culmhead, performing signals research functions, with a cluster of buildings covering some 4.4 hectares being constructed approximately in the centre of the former airfield. It was closed in this role in 1999.
No images at present