Shepton Mallet Market Cross
Shepton Mallet Market Cross.
Shepton Mallet is the nearest town to Ashwick parish and has nine grade II listed buildings but only one scheduled ancient monument, the market cross in the town square. The hexagonal, 50 ft tall market cross dates back to a bequest of £20 by Walter Buckland in 1520, and was rebuilt in 1841. A market cross is a structure used to mark a market square in market towns, originally from the distinctive tradition in Early Medieval Insular art of free-standing stone standing or high crosses, often elaborately carved, which goes back to the 7th century.
The market cross is also a grade II listed building along with the prison and prison wall, The Merchants House (8 Market Place), the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery, Charlton Viaduct, the former St Michael's Roman Catholic Church at Townsend, and Bowlish House, Old Bowlish House and Park House in Bowlish.