Stoney Littleton Long Barrow

Stoney Littleton Long Barrow

The Stoney Littleton Long Barrow (also known as Bath Tumulus or the Wellow Tumulus) is a Neolithic chambered tomb with multiple burial chambers, located near the village of Wellow, Somerset.

Stoney Littleton Long Barrow.              photo by Alan Simkins

The barrow is about 30 metres (98 ft) in length and 15 metres (49 ft) wide at the south-east end, it stands nearly 3 metres (10 ft) high.  Internally it consists of a 12.8 metres (42 ft) long gallery with three pairs of side chambers and an end chamber.  There is a fossil ammonite decorating the left-hand door jamb.

Stoney Littleton Long Barrow entrance.                     photo by Rod ward

The site was excavated by John Skinner in 1816-17 who gained the entry through a hole originally made about 1760.  The excavation revealed the bones (some burned) of several individuals.

Stoney Littleton Long Barrow interior.                      photo by Rod Ward

The site was restored in 1858 by Mr T. R. Joliffe, the Lord of the Hundred - an information board has now been provided at the site by English Heritage.  It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.