When VE Day dawns on Friday, 8th May 2020 it will be 75 years since the guns fell silent at the end of the war in Europe. Years of carnage and destruction had come to an end and millions of people took to the streets and pubs to celebrate peace, mourn their loved-ones and to hope for the future.
Communities throughout the UK are planning events for a national weekend of Remembrance and celebration. In Ashwick & Oakhill many groups and societies, clubs and local businesses have come together to arrange a programme for everyone in our Community. Several events are synchronised with similar ones elsewhere.
Outline Programme – Cancelled
Note: we hope to arrange some of the Community Events later
Friday 8th May – (NB: National Bank Holiday!)
- 3:00pm – Village gathering at the Oakhill War Memorial – Remembrance for WW2 Fallen & playing of national tributes.
- 3:30pm – Toast to the Nation in the Oakhill Inn
- 6:30pm – Big Band Dance party at the Village Hall & Rec (Marquee)
- The Oakhill Vocals
- The Terry Hill Big Band – Playing all our swing favourites of the era
- Food, Drink and Dancing
- 1940’s Dress!
Saturday 9th May
- 2:30pm – Vintage Tea for Senior Citizens in the Village Hall
- 3:00pm – Family ‘Street Party’ on the Rec (Marquee)
Sunday 10th May
- 10:00am – Special Service at Ashwick Church (incl. Last Post)
- 10:45am – Tea/Coffee & Cakes at Ashwick Church Rooms